Thursday, January 24, 2013

39 weeks: being a hero

I've been saying to people that I would like to go all natural for Blake's birth, but I'm not going to tell them to refuse me the drugs if I beg. The phrase I keep hearing from people is, "You don't need to be a hero." And I keep agreeing with that because it gets my point across that I'm not going to refuse the drugs if I absolutely need them.

But I've been thinking... why shouldn't I be a hero?

I'm about to become a mom. And I want to be a hero to my kids, so labor/delivery seems like a good place to start.

Don't hear me wrong--I don't judge anyone who chooses to get an epidural or who needs to get a c-section. It's different for every woman. But I do hate how the hospitals just try to make money off of people and how getting an epidural or getting induced seems to have a snowball effect. And it's so easy to take advantage of a mother in labor who is in pain and whose main concern is the safety of her child. And what do we simple layman know about medicine? That's why I'm so thankful to be delivering at Women's and Babies with a midwife. In my experience at May Grant, I have not liked any of the doctors I've seen, but I have liked all of the midwives. The doctors keep pushing me to get more ultrasounds, for no good reason, and my midwife assures me that more ultrasounds would be unnecessary. So you tell me who is out for my good and who just wants my money. Unfortunately, these incidents have made me have trouble trusting doctors and labor interventions.

As I look forward to D-Day with excitement (and anxiety), I just can't wait to prove myself a hero. I feel like if I can deliver my son naturally, I can do anything. And that's a powerful way to start motherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment