Thursday, August 1, 2013

writing a good story: part 2

Before Blake came, TJ and I went through our movies and got rid of a few things that we thought maybe we didn't want Blake to see. Example: Boondock Saints. But now that he's here, I'm feeling like being even more strict about the types of movies we watch. I was watching the movie Just Friends the other day and realizing that some of those jokes are inappropriate. It stinks because some of the jokes are REALLY funny, and I've always loved that movie. But when I think about my son hearing and seeing things that are inappropriate, it makes me want to throw that movie away. You could argue that a mature audience can handle such jokes and nudity. But if it's bad for Blake to fill his mind with such things, why is it any better for me to?

The thing is, the jokes we laugh at and the images we look at tell our children what's funny and what is worth filling our time with. So I don't want to laugh at inappropriate jokes anymore. I'm happier watching Horton Hears A Who anyway. Sometimes TJ and I get made fun of because we won't watch certain things or because we enjoy watching kid movies. It hurts my feelings because I feel misunderstood. But it doesn't matter because ultimately, we are doing what we think God is asking us to do. And that's all that matters.

I like Blake seeing us fill our lives with family, friends, and adventures. I want him to see us serving others, being generous, being honest and kind. I don't want him to hear inappropriate jokes and inappropriate amounts of skin showing. If he hears us laughing at inappropriate jokes, he will learn that those are the things that are funny. And that would be a shame, considering there's a lot of other stuff out there that's ten times more funny than any inappropriate joke!

Even at this age, I know Blake is watching my every move. He's learning what is worth investing time in. He's learning what's fun and what's funny. He's learning how to care for others and how to be giving. Because I want Blake to learn good things from my actions, I'm challenged to live my life according to God's truth. By God's strength, I will be able to write a good story with my life by being wary of the stories that I watch on TV so that Blake might learn what's worth watching and what isn't. It's much more fun to live our story than it is to watch one on TV, anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment