Wednesday, June 26, 2013

His Arms


Last Sunday, I had Blake in my arms, and it was time for his nap, so I just rocked him to sleep in the middle of the church service. I love those moments where I get to just hold him and watch him sleep so peacefully. He's at an age where sometimes when he's fussing for someone else, when he gets in my arms, he's content. Mom's arms mean comfort. Mom's arms mean everything is okay and safe. And while I wish that it didn't always have to be me because it makes me exhausted sometimes, there's something so beautiful in the fact that he trusts me and loves me that much. That I'm his person.

And that's when the revelation came. That's how God feels about me! He wants me to run to His arms for comfort and peace. He wants me to know that, in His arms, I am safe. It isn't a burden to Him that I ask for help because He loves to hold me! Being a mom is teaching me so much about the character of God.

I love watching Blake enjoy the toys that we give him. I love watching him explore the world around him. And I know God looks down and enjoys watching us appreciate the scenery and the people around us. He loves when we are thankful for the gifts He has given because, of course, He wants us to enjoy our gifts!

While I haven't carved out the time to read my bible very much since being a parent, I think I've learned so much more these past few months about God's role as Heavenly Father (and mother!) than I have my whole life. My dad never offered much affection or affirmation, so the idea of being God's child didn't strike me deeply before now. But now I realize in much deeper ways how much God loves me as His child.

In this world where so many children are the innocent victims of evil, I'm comforted in knowing that Blake is God's child too. I'm comforted in knowing that Blake is even more precious to God than he is to me (which is a concept I can't even begin to understand!). And while that doesn't mean that bad things will never happen, I know that God is watching over us and gives us power and protection over the schemes of the devil. But all of that is a much deeper topic that I won't get into right now.

Thank you, God, for the opportunity to become a mother and to know your heart in deeper ways! I understand much more deeply how you love and care for me as a precious child and how much you love and care for Blake, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment